Monday, November 4, 2013

Headboard DIY

We upgraded to a king size bed a few months ago, but after endless searching, I couldn't find a bed that I liked at all.  After many failed searches, we ended up just buying the mattress/box springs, and a bed frame and I decided that we would just build a headboard that I liked.

I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do, but wasn't exactly sure how to make it work, so I did some research and then decided to wing it.

I knew I didn't want wood with knots, or any kind of imperfections, so I went with these primed boards from Lowes.  I got a variety of widths for the main part, and for the side trim pieces.  A king size bed is 76" wide, and the typical king headboard is 78", so I went with that for the total width.  We measured everything and my husband cut them for me.

Next, I painted each board using the same color paint I used in my Dresser Refinish and Church Pew Refinish posts.  I love the Olympic brand paint from Lowes, and use it for pretty much anything I paint.

I wanted one of the boards to be different, and I decided I wanted to cover it with the same fabric I used for the Church Pew.  I got it from and love it.  I laid the fabric wrong side up, sprayed the board with spray adhesive, and then carefully pressed the board on to the fabric.  I let it sit for a minute, then flipped it over, sprayed the other side, and folded the fabric the rest of the way around.  The spray adhesive I got allows you time to re position if you need to, which was much appreciated.

When I started researching how to build furniture several months ago, it became very apparent to me that I needed to buy a Kreg Jig.  I convinced my husband we needed it for this project, and he was kind enough to purchase it for me, even though he had never seen one before.  He now thinks it is one of the greatest tools ever, so I feel super smart for recommending it. :)  It allows you to drill at these fun little angles so that it is easy to attach boards without having the screws showing.  We drilled holes into the boards that would be the main part of the headboard and then attached them to the side pieces.

We struggled a lot deciding how to hang the headboard on the wall.  I didn't want screws showing, and the studs in our wall didn't line up with where we would ideally attach the headboard.  In the end, we used two  1"x2"x8' boards (that we cut to 75" so that you wouldn't see them behind the headboard).  We attached them to the studs in the wall, and then screwed the side pieces of the headboard to them.  We used the Kreg Jig again on the trim pieces so that we could screw them in from the top on bottom to attach them to the front of the headboard, allowing for no screws to be seen from the front.
Here are the boards, and the headboard before the final trim was added.

I love how it turned out!  We sat in our room last night and looked around at the built in shelves (my husband built them a few years ago for coming soon), the headboard, and the church pew and dresser I refinished, and realized that we have essentially made everything in there.  Everything is exactly how I wanted it to be, and none of it could have been purchased because it is all my design.  That makes me super happy!

Finished product...

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Start Planning Your Disney Cruise

How to Start Planning Your Disney Cruise   Our family has been on three Disney Cruises so far, and we've sailed on three of the...